A variant of Curve-Tor-Bitcoin (CTB) Locker ransomware is being distributed in a spam campaign now offers victims additional time to pay the ransom, but also requires them to pay a whole lot more than previously, according to the latest research by Trend Micro. This is just the latest wave of this type of malware and users need to be vigilant.
The bad news is that, as its name implies, ransomware holds your system ransom. The first thing this package does is corrupt your files – all your files. Photos, videos, office documents; Local files, network files, shared files… Then a warning screen from the criminals alerts you, telling you that your files are “encrypted” and demanding that you pay a ransom via electronic fund transfer or your files will be lost forever.
Source: Trend Micro
From Java browser plugins and MYSQL to Sun Systems Products Suite a host of these fixes patch remotely exploitable issues and patches should be applied.
We always recommend customers store their passwords securely and to maintain secure (read complicated and difficult to remember) passwords. We frequently suggest LastPass for both computer and mobile users. Now the popular program is available for the Mac from the iTunes store.
Mozilla has released Firefox 35 and it comes with fixes for several critical vulnerabilities. Firefox users should upgrade immediately.
This months Microsoft updates include the following updates for the Surface Pro 3:
- Surface Pro UEFI update (v3.11.450.0) adds support for updated HD Graphics Family driver.
- HD Graphics Family driver update (v10.18.14.4029) enhances display stability and performance, improves user experience when using Miracast adapters. Improves compatibility with DisplayPort monitors and daisy chaining.
- Wireless Network Controller and Bluetooth driver update (v15.68.3073.151) addresses connectivity issues while Hyper-V is enabled. Adds an advanced feature to control the 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz band preference.
- Surface Home Button driver update (v2.0.1179.0) ensures compatibility with the Surface Hub app.
- Microsoft Docking Station Audio Device driver update (v126.96.36.199) improves the user experience while using the Surface Pro 3 Docking Station so that sound is available when a speaker is not connected to the docking station.
Source: Microsoft Surface Update History
A Vulnerability in Windows User Profile Service Could Allow Elevation of Privilege. All clients should ensure their systems are patched tonight.
Source: Microsoft Support