The past two mornings have had businesses in the Albany area who use Microsoft’s Office 365 receive a Phishing email claiming that users passwords have had a password change request and please follow the link included in order to cancel the request.
The sender will be listed as “Office” or “Office 365” and the Subject line will read “Password Reset Alert”
This email should be deleted immediately.
The SharePoint mobile app (Available for iOS) will become available for Android users early next week. The SharePoint mobile app helps keep your work moving forward by providing quick access to your team sites, organizational portals and the people you work with throughout Office 365 by letting you search for content and people across your organization.
You can use the SharePoint mobile app to:
- Navigate from Sites to team sites you follow or frequently visit.
- Navigate from Links to important sites configured by your organization.
- Catch up on what’s happened with the Activity view, which shows recent file activity in your team site.
- Open your document libraries with the OneDrive app and then edit your files using Office mobile apps like Word, Excel, PowerPoint and OneNote.
- Learn more about people you work with and discover what they are working on.
- Perform an enterprise-wide search to find sites, files and people throughout your organization.
Outlook Web App (OWA), going forward, will be called “Outlook on the Web”. New features have been added including a new action bar across Mail, Calendar, People and Task experiences; a more prominent subject line; indented reading pane messages are all part of the new “cleaner” UI, according to Microsoft.
The ability to pin messages, Sweep, Archive, Undo and optional single-line view features are all coming to Outlook on the Web, too. Users will get more mail customization options, plus new Calendar additions like weather, visual cues, and mail reminders.
Customers with the Office preview running in testing will find there is a new build release today:
- Real Time Presence in Word—While Real Time Typing will ship in subsequent builds, Microsoft is rolling out a key part of that collaborative experience with Real Time Presence. Real Time Presence allows you to see where in a document your teammates are editing. Available first for OneDrive for Business subscribers, it will be available more broadly soon.
- Simplified file sharing—Microsoft is simplifying the process of sharing files and making them available to others to review, comment, and edit. Just clicking Share on the Ribbon will save your file to the Cloud and make it available to others in one easy step.
- Insights for Office (currently in Word and Outlook)—Insights, powered by Bing, brings you contextual information from the web right into your reading experience. Try it by selecting keywords, like people or places, in your content and watch as Insights pulls relevant information into the Task pane to help you learn more.
- Version History improvements—It is now easier to find different versions of files stored on SharePoint or OneDrive for Business. You can click the History command in the File menu to view or restore any previous version.
The Office 2016 Preview is available for download for Office 365 users and to anyone has signed up to the preview program.
Available in a VERY early form previously the Office 2016 Preview is now available to anyone wishing to test it. Both Office 365 and on premises Office users can test the new versions of Word, Excel, Outlook etc.
Of course this software should not used in your production environment, but it is a stable release and suitable for use in most test environments.
Microsoft has announced that they are extending the period in which it retains deleted emails in Office 365. Currently if you moved an email to the Deleted folder, it will permanently after 30 days. This has now been extended to indefinitely by default and can be set by the Office 365 Administrator. Office 365 Administrators can also create custom retention policies for email if they want the information to truly delete.
The majority of our clients are Outlook users connecting to either an on-premises Exchange server or to Office365 in the cloud. While the built in mail apps found in iOS and Android do work well enough for many we often get asked is there a more “Outlook like” solution for phones.
Having tested multiple applications on both iOS and Android the one that we have found to be both easy to use and dependable, while providing superior functionality to the default applications is Acompli.
Available for both Android and iOS phones it also has an excellent version for iPads allowing iOS users to have a similar experience on both of their devices. Usable in both portrait and landscape, It transitions smoothly from one to two panes when rotated to landscape.
What sets Acompli apart from the default mail apps are features such as its integrated calendar that works with the email functions. You can jump between email and the calendar without switching between applications
An aggregated inbox lets you see mail from multiple accounts in one view allowing you to use the app for both personal and business email.
Microsoft has updated Office for Mobile on the Google Play store and support for Dropbox has been included. This means you can open and save existing files on your Dropbox storage and create new ones from within Office Mobile.
Microsoft has released an updated Outlook for the Mac, which delivers improved performance and reliability and a fresh look and feel that is unmistakably Microsoft Office. This release offers a more familiar and consistent experience between Outlook on the PC, Outlook on the web and Outlook Web App (OWA) for iPad, iPhone and Android devices.
The new Outlook for Mac includes:
- Better performance and reliability as a result of a new threading model and database improvements.
- A new modern user interface with improved scrolling and agility when switching between Ribbon tabs.
- Online archive support for searching Exchange (online or on-premises) archived mail.
- Master Category List support and enhancements delivering access to category lists (name and color) and sync between Mac, Windows and OWA clients.
- Office 365 push email support for real-time email delivery.
- Faster first-run and email download experience with improved Exchange Web Services syncing.